Personalized Care for Acne Scar Treatments
Some people are lucky enough to dismiss acne as a trivial trial of adolescence. But for adults who still bear the scars left behind by severe acne, that trial has never ended.
Acne is the most common skin condition in the United States, affecting up to 50 million Americans annually. Acne usually begins in puberty and affects many adolescents and young adults. Approximately 85 percent of people between the ages of 12 and 24 experience at least minor acne and may continue into one’s 30s and 40s. In many cases, acne is mild, heals easily, and disappears. In some cases, the acne is severe enough to damage the deeper layers of skin. Even years after the acne has been resolved, the scars can remain, including spotting, discoloration, pitting and craters.
Solutions for Acne Scarring
Fortunately, however, skincare has come a long way in treating acne and the scarring that can follow. High-tech solutions and customized treatments can make incredible improvements to this age-old problem. While it is unlikely that acne scars will ever be fully eliminated, caring for skin, lightening scars, reducing wrinkles, and creating a healthier complexion overall can go a long way toward boosting self-confidence. There are many options available.
The Best in Acne Scar Treatment
If you have acne scarring, any one of these treatments may do amazing things for your complexion and your self-esteem. At Blush, we have become the experts at combining two or more cutting-edge treatments for optimal results with as little downtime as possible.
- Dermalinfusion abrades the top layer of skin to slough off dead skin cells while triggering collagen production. This first step is similar to microdermabrasion, however in Dermalinfusion, the skin is more receptive to the infusion of healing serums and other products. Dermalinfusion drives serums deep into freshly revealed layers of skin for maximum healing impact.
- Dermaplaning peels down layers of skin to attempt to even the texture around severe acne scarring. The treatment uses a hand-held instrument called a dermatome, which has an oscillating blade that evenly "skims" off the surface layers surrounding pits and craters caused by severe acne. Dermaplaning can treat small areas of skin or the whole face.
- The Halo™ hybrid fractional laser combines ablative and non-ablative wavelengths to improve the appearance of blotchy skin, uneven skin tone, fine lines, wrinkles, and other imperfections, including discoloration and pitting caused by acne. Initial improvements can be noticeable two to five days after treatment, but the stimulation of new collagen production and skin cells means appearance will continue to improve over the following months.
- Microneedling therapy uses tiny needles to penetrate the skin without removing the top layer. The deeper layers of skin go into repair mode, rebuilding collagen and healing the tiny holes and the surrounding tissues. The fresh, healing skin creates a more even texture and tone, filling scars and fading discolorations and spots typical of acne scarring. Because it is non-ablative, microneedling can be safely repeated as needed.
- Chemical peels can improve the appearance of acne scars by using a chemical solution to remove the top layer of skin. The skin that grows back after a chemical peel is typically smoother, more even and younger looking. The scars are, in effect, peeled away. Chemical peels can be done at different depths — light, medium or deep — depending on the depth of scarring and your goals.
- The Sciton ProFractional™ laser softens and blends scars. It creates small channels in the skin that trigger new collagen growth, giving the benefits of deep resurfacing without ablation or peeling. The ProFractional™ laser is easily adjustable for areas of the face where scarring may be deeper or more severe and can accommodate various skin thicknesses. Acne scars may require four or five treatments about a month apart to give the skin time to heal and allow for collagen remodeling.
- Dermal fillers for acne scars give a nonsurgical, short-term option to reduce the appearance of scarring. The Hyaluronic acid in JUVÉDERM® and Restylane® can help smooth out depressed skin for a fuller, smoother appearance. Results are not long-lasting and this option is best as a last-minute solution before a big event.
Personalized Acne Scar Care
By using a combination of therapies, we can offer amazing improvements in skin tone, texture and overall glow.
Acne may have been embarrassing for you as a teen (or as an adult), but do not let the scars it left behind remind you of that struggle and hold you back from what you want to do today.
Contact us to schedule your Blush consultation and we will develop a customized acne scarring treatment program for your unique needs and goals.